We have just started work on our latest TC Homes Contracting development in Bomere Heath. This £1.5million contract involves one bungalow, six two bedroomed and six three bedroomed houses.
We have just built a ‘living’ retaining wall at the site using Flex MSE. This is a vegetated (living) retaining wall system that can be used as a direct replacement for gabion baskets, concrete blocks and bricks for a more environmentally friendly, longer lasting and less expensive alternative.
The system is a combination of a geotextile bag and an interlocking plate and the bag is filled with sand and compost to create a stabilised earth solution with a 120year design life. A few weeks after it’s been hydroseeded, it’ll essentially vanish into the landscape, creating a natural aesthetic. On the Bomere Heath development, we’ll be specifying a low/no maintenance grass seed, but almost anything can be planted on them, including wildflowers or even willow, depending on the client’s requirements.
Some of the benefits of this system include:
- 120-year design life with a 75-year warranty
- BREEAM compatible
- BBA Certification Stage 3 Attained – final certification pending
- Installed by hand in less than 2/3 of the time compared to traditional systems
- Typically costs up to 60% compared to traditional systems
- “Recommended for use on SSSIs” by the Environment Agency
Typical applications include:
- Retaining walls
- Riverbank/coastline erosion repairs
- Landscaping features
- Root ball stabilisation
- Ditch lining & slope cladding
- Culvert headwall repairs.